The kitchen can be one of the most hazardous places in the home, so follow these tips:
- Keep pans out of the reach of children.
- Always supervise children in the kitchen.
- Don’t put anything metal in the microwave.
- Keep soft items such as tea towels and cloths away from cookers and toasters.
- Keep the oven, hob and grill clean. A build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire. Clean the grill after you have used it to reduce the chances of it catching fire.
- Never leave cooking unattended. A moment’s distraction could be all it takes for a pan or grill to catch fire.
- Double check the oven/hob is off when you have finished cooking.
- Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire.
- Avoid cooking if you are tired, have been drinking alcohol or taking medication that might make you drowsy.